- This event has passed.
Dealing with Delay: From Contract Negotiations to Claims
June 13 @ 8:30 am - 9:30 am$25.00 – $50.00
Description: The presentation will provide strategies for contractors to protect themselves against the impacts of delays and will identify practical steps that a contractor can take at various stages of a project, from bid to close-out, that will increase the contractor’s chances of successfully obtaining additional time and compensation. The strategies presented will include:
- addressing schedule requirements at the proposal stage and negotiating contract language to reduce the risk of cost impacts associated with material shortages, force majeure, changes, unforeseen conditions, delays cause by others, and non-excusable delays attributable to the contractor;
- documentation practices during the performance of the work to avoid contractual pitfalls and effectively supporting claims for additional time and compensation; and,
- successfully resolving disputes and pursuing claims for additional time and compensation as a result of delay and impacts.
- Provide an understanding of basic “delay” related terminology;
- Present bidding and pre-construction strategies to mitigate delay and impact risk;
- Identify key contract language posing risk in relation to delays and impacts;
- Provide guidance on why and how certain standard contract language (i.e. “no damages for delay” clauses and liquidated damages clauses) should be modified in pre-contract negotiations;
- Outline steps for effectively documenting delay during construction to support requests for additional time and money;
- Identify contractual pitfalls to be avoided during construction to preserve the contractor’s rights to additional time and money;
- Provide guidance on proactively addressing disputes during performance of the work and after completion;
- Present an overview of how a delay claim is properly developed, supported, and prosecuted to give the claim the best chance of success.
This seminar will be hosted by ABC Eastern PA Member:
HENDRICK PHILLIPS SALZMAN & SIEGEL, P.C.
Cancellation Policy: Registration is financially binding unless cancelled 1 week prior to the date of the class/event.
Read ABC East's Payment and Refund Policy